Monday, September 22, 2008

Obama 4 Change

I did not take this picture, however one of my friend's have had it as their Facebook picture for a long time now and I think it goes really well with what we have been talking about for a few weeks. This picture was actually spray painted on a wall and my friend took a photo of it. It is an amazing graffiti-ed masterpiece, one of the reasons being it was "pun-intended" to play on the word change and use a stereotype of someone who would usually ask for "change" to mean the other meaning painting is mostly dark shades and the wall its painted on is white as well as the "sign" the shaded person is holding. To me, that would speak to me as being the whole "light at the end of the tunnel" type message. Another thing I find really interesting is the "change" cup at the bottom of the person is dark gray and the inside of it is black, as if it was empty. It is rather subtle but it could raise some questions...is it dark because it is indeed empty, there has been no change "given"? Or is it dark because no change has been sufficient enough to fill the cup? Whatever the artist's true intentions were, I think the the typical foam cup used to collect "change" makes this piece extremely different.

No comments: